Durham Children’s Aid Foundation receives a number of critical and urgent care requests. These requests are beyond the scope of services provided by child welfare services. The requests are not funded by any government support. The urgent needs are reported by Child and Youth workers. The need for support is reviewed by DCAF Board of Trustees to ensure appropriate assistance is provided. Financial support is not paid out to the Durham Children’s Aid Society. The donor supported funds are paid directly to the vendors, counselors or schools.
Urgent and Critical Care Fund Requests:
- Crisis intervention counselling for youth and family members who have suffered significant trauma
- Emergency financial support for food, urgent dental care and clothing for families and youth in transition. Youth transitioning out of care from the child welfare funding are over 16 years of age.
- Emergency support for youth now living on their own
- Rehabilitative and Recreational activities (e.g. art therapy, sports)
- Financial support for special family needs (e.g. funding for family outings and recreational activities)
Special Comfort Kits – for Children
Special Comfort Kits make the transition into care of the Durham CAS a little easier for children. These kits give children items to help them in the event a transition is required. The kits provide a pair of pajamas, a toy or book, some personal care products and a backpack. The kits may seem like a small gesture, but it is something for the children to call their own, and something they can carry their belongings in. They deserve so much more than a garbage bag.
In partnership with popular clothing retailers and the Peel Children’s Aid Foundation, DCAF receives new clothing items for the children, youth and families. DCAF manages the coordination of the clothing delivery and recruits volunteers to set up the “pop up store”.
How You Can Assist
To make a donation visit Support Today. Your single or monthly gift will assist DCAF in giving hope by providing urgent and essential support when required throughout the year. #DCAFhelps